Seeking An Executive Assistant
The Executive Assistant will support our Founder/Board President (Janice Niederhofer), Executive Director, and provide organizational support across Humankind Alliance. This person will report directly to Janice Niederhofer and the role will be split amongst three different areas: Two days per week will be in support of Humankind Alliance activities, two days per week will be in support of Undercover Rose, Inc. (Janice’s for-profit company), and one day per week will be flexible and could be related to either company or Janice’s personal assistance.
The Executive Assistant provides strategic, administrative and logistical support to the Executive Director and Board President of Humankind Alliance International. The Executive Assistant provides high-level administrative coordination and support, serves as a conduit to and from the Executive Director to the rest of HA, composes and creates communications, maintains documentation and maintains an appropriate professional demeanor while interacting with all levels of staff, visitors and external stakeholders.
In this role, the Executive Assistant will have unique visibility into and gain experience supporting operations at all levels of a growing national non-profit. This is an exciting opportunity for a self-starter seeking a dynamic role with extraordinary learning and growth potential.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Completes a broad variety of administrative tasks for the Founder/Board President and Executive Director including: managing an extremely active calendar of appointments; screening visitors and callers; completing expense reports; composing and preparing correspondence that is sometimes confidential; managing all signatures; copy editing materials; arranging complex and detailed travel plans, itineraries, and agendas; compiling documents and briefing materials for travel-related meetings. Anticipate and solve for challenges to ensure the most strategic use of the Board President’s time.
- Conducts follow-up and planning regarding events, meetings, and calls. For instance recording business cards/entering data in Salesforce, and conducting research in advance of meetings.
- Coordinates all meetings for the Board President and routine staff/board meetings, including preparing materials and scheduling. Set up conference rooms with audio, visual and conference call needs.
- Works closely and effectively with the Executive Director and Board President to keep them well informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities, including key decisions, following up appropriately.
- Provides Board of Directors-related support services including but not limited to: the maintenance of Board and Board Committee rosters, coordination of Board meetings, preparation of minutes and collection of agenda-related materials. Provides similar support services to other external and internal work groups, coalitions and task forces.
- Coordinates the Board President’s internal communications to staff, including emails to all staff and calls with partners and other meetings and communications.
- Communicates as needed on behalf of the Board President, with Board members, donors, and others.
- Prioritizes conflicting needs; handles matters expeditiously, proactively, and follows through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures.
- Leads on staff appreciation including tracking birthdays, years of service, and other staff milestones.
- Adheres to professional standards.
Strategic Executive Functions
- Provides leadership to build relationships crucial to the success of the organization, and manages a variety of special projects for the Board President and Executive Director, some of which may have organizational impact.
- Researches, prioritizes, and follows up on incoming issues and concerns addressed to the Board President, including those of a sensitive or confidential nature. Determines the appropriate course of action, referral, or response.
- Provides a bridge for effective and regular communication between the Board President and internal departments; demonstrating leadership, collegiality and empathy to maintain credibility, trust and support.
- Proactively identifies ways to improve communication within HA leadership team and to/from leadership teams throughout HA.
- Answers incoming calls, takes messages, welcomes visitors, and responds to routine inquiries for information.
- Maintains confidentiality of all documents and other information. Prepares records, contracts for signature or submission, personnel and other documentation and ensures the appropriate filing and distribution of such data.
- Attends meetings, takes minutes and distributes minutes to attendees.
- Sorts and distributes incoming mail and deliveries, processes outgoing mail, and handles requests for messenger and delivery services.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Education and/or Experience: An Associate’s Degree and four years related experience required. May give credit towards years of experience if attained a degree higher than an Associate’s Degree.
- Communication Skills: Effective business writing skills and the ability to communicate clearly with all levels of staff with attention to organizational structure and department responsibilities.
- Computer Skills: Demonstrated proficiency in Word, Power Point, Outlook and Excel. The ability to create professional reports, organization charts, diagrams, and graphs.
- An effective self-starter with creative problem-solving skills who can perform a variety of work with minimal direction. Exceptional interpersonal skills. The ability to multi-task and to react productively to change and lead by example. A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace. Demonstrated commitment to international development, social services, and/or human rights. Maintain a sense of humor during stressful situations Other Competencies:
- Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Time Management – Ability to prioritize tasks, manage time and complete projects in a fast-paced, changing environment with minimal supervision.
- Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data
- Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively.
- Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events
- Cultural Sensitivity – Respects cultural environment in which a person is working and does not act in a manner that is outwardly offensive to the local community.